Saturday, July 12, 2008

“Meeting on the Hill"


“you can rob me of my sight, you can poison my bloodstream, but as long as I can dream, then life is worth living…” ~ Brett Dennen

The last time I was in Washington DC I was 16 years old. I was selected to attend a one-week program called the Presidential Classroom. I had the most amazing experience a 16 year old interested in history and government could ever have. It is the reason why I was a Political Science Major in College. It’s been a while since I’ve been here and I love this city. I’m coming back often. Who knows, if I’m lucky, I might be back in January and spend eight years here.


I spent most of Thursday afternoon and evening hoping someone would ask me as often times colleagues or friends ask, “what are you doing tomorrow?” or “what do you have going on tomorrow?” I answered all calls from friends and family (not typical behavior from me) just so I can hear a variation of that question. Nothing. No one asked. Then finally, at 12:30 AM as I was walking back to my hotel from a cool dinner with some new friends, my phone rang and it was Dan, after a few minutes of catching up on life, the question came, “so, what are you doing in DC tomorrow?” Finally! I answered, with a smile on my face, which I’m sure he could hear, “tomorrow? I have a meeting on the Hill.”

I met with Congressman Harry Mitchell, his Legislative Aid, and his Chief of Staff and it couldn’t have been scripted any better. We had a great meeting to discuss two projects I’m working on that would affect members of his district. I’m sure I’ll cover these in more detail at some point but for now it’s enough to describe the projects as one, a massive state wide role out of a “teach teachers how to use technology in classrooms to teach students (yes, I’ll come up with a simpler name at some point), and two, a “leveling the playing field” program aimed at identifying high potential 8th graders who can’t afford laptops and Internet access and empowering them with the technology at no cost to them. Harry Mitchell, being a teacher himself for 25 years, was thrilled with both ideas and jumped in with both feet.

I’ve been lucky enough to know Harry since he kicked JD Hayworth’s ass (ok, he won by three thousand votes) to take the AZ 5th away from him (and his nice forth floor office). I like Harry. He has an amazing soul. I’m not sure how I know how someone has a great soul but I can tell you that the seven or so people who I’ve met in my life who have one, all give me the same feeling when I talk to them. He reminds me of someone I want to be like. He just looks like he’s having fun no matter what he’s doing. He seems to be enjoying life, like the guy who just survived a massive heart attack and has a new lease on life, except Harry seems to remind himself that it is a lease everyday.

//side note: in the lavatory on the airplane it says, “this lavatory is equipped with a smoke detector for your protection.” I wondered, do you think they thought of equipping any other part of the airplane with a smoke detector?//

I had to fight my smile on the entire trip “to the Hill.” When I got into the cab and announced my destination. When we pulled around the corner and I saw nation’s capital and that breathtaking dome. As I walked through the halls, and read each and every Congressional Office plaque. As I sat with Congressman Mitchell and his staff. Finally, as I told my last joke, stood up, and walked out of his office. It was all an amazing experience for me. I know it sounds sappy. I know it sounds like I’m some naive delusional dreamer but I can’t help myself. Hi, my name is Jaime and I am a political junkie and I LOVE this stuff. More importantly, experiences like this humble me and make me realize just how lucky I am. It reminds me of all the people in my life that helped a first generation, single parent street kid from Hell’s Kitchen “have a meeting on the Hill.”


2 comments:

Unknown said...

The city of magnificent intentions - Charles Dickens :)

Anonymous said...

Well said.